The sewage collection system and treatment facilities for the cities of Englewood and Littleton developed separately, but in a similar manner. The collection system follows the natural drainage pattern in the area that leads to the South Platte River. The overall service area includes both cities' own collection systems as well as systems built and maintained by 20 connector districts.
In the early 1950’s, the Englewood Wastewater Treatment Plant was built at Santa Fe and Bates Avenue. The plant treated sewage from the Englewood service area and discharged treated effluent to the river. The treatment process was a very simple trickling filter plant -- headworks, primary clarifier, trickling filters, secondary clarifier, anaerobic digesters and support facilities. Between the original construction and 1971 the plant was expanded several times.
The final version of the Englewood WWTP was a north and a south plant with a 15 mgd treatment capacity. The original south plant was expanded to include a secondary process and disinfection. The newer north plant was a simple trickling filter plant similar to the original south plant.
The Littleton Wastewater Treatment Plant was originally built in the late 1940’s in the vicinity of Santa Fe Drive and Belleview Avenue. This facility was also expanded several times and by 1976 was treating 5 mgd to secondary standards before discharging into the South Platte River.