Construction Project Status
As of December 2008, construction is 100% complete.
- Final Completion was given as of December 31, 2008
- Final payment is expected on or about February 27, 2009.
- Western Summit Constructors given Notice to Proceed on August 10, 2004.
- Western Summit Constructors have a 4 year time frame to complete the project.
- The project construction contract amount is $87,100,900.
- This project is one of the largest of its kind in Colorado at this time.
Increase the capacity of the Treatment Plant from 36 million gallons per day (137,200 cubic meters per day) to 50 million gallons per day (189,000 cubic meters per day)
Requires over 3 years of planning, design, and permitting prior to the start of construction.
Part of the Long-Range Facilities Plan (Master Plan) for the treatment facility, two previous phases (Phase 1a and Phase 1b) were completed in the 1990s.
Add an entirely new denitrification treatment process to reduce nitrates in the plant's effluent discharge.
Denitrification will be accomplished in deep-bed gravity sand filters and the addition of a carbon source to support the bacteria that convert the nitrates to nitrogen gas.
The increased treatment capacity, addition of the denitrification treatment process, and improvements to the disinfection system will continue to ensure that the plant's effluent meets all discharge permit requirements needed to maintain the water quality objectives and uses for the South Platte River.